Employment Opportunity: Watershed Conservation and Land Use Advocate




The Foothill Conservancy is a small, community-based, 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with a primary focus on California’s central Sierra Nevada foothills. We are seeking a Watershed Conservation and Land Use Advocate who will be responsible for representing the Conservancy in collaborative efforts, public meetings, and other settings. The Watershed Conservation Advocate portion is established at 50% time and the Land Use Advocate portion at 25% time for a total of a 75% (three-quarter) time position.

Under the supervision of the Foothill Conservancy Executive Director, the Watershed Conservation/Land Use Advocate will work closely with consultants and key Conservancy volunteers. The Advocate will:

  • Collaborate with organizations and agencies and community stakeholders to effectively advocate for good local planning decisions and regulations.
  • Prepare meeting summaries and other written and oral reports.
  • Participate in developing policies, programs, and projects.
  • Contribute related communication, public education, and outreach content.
  • Support the work of the Conservancy’s Land Use and Watershed teams.
  • Assist in raising funds by identifying relevant grants, drafting grant applications, and participating in other pertinent fundraising activities.


Watershed Conservation Advocate (50% time)

In this role, the Advocate will assist with projects related to river, forest, and watershed conservation, primarily in the foothills of Amador and Calaveras counties and the central Sierra Nevada.

Land Use Advocate (25% time)

In this role, the advocate will assist with projects related to land use planning and development, primarily in Amador County but also in Calaveras County and the central Sierra Nevada, including western Alpine County (Kirkwood area).

Minimum qualifications:

  • Bachelor’s or advanced degree and two years of experience in related field.
  • Strong interest in river and watershed protection and restoration with an understanding of key river and watershed issues in the Sierra Nevada
  • Proficiency with the Microsoft Office software suite
  • See full job description for more details

Approximate total hours per week (Watershed and Land Use):  30

The position has the possibility to become full time through resource development.

Compensation: $18-$22 an hour, depending on qualifications and experience. Benefits include paid sick leave, paid vacation, flexible working hours, potential remote work options, paid holidays, and a health insurance stipend.

To apply:

Position open until filled.



Add Impact To Your Inbox

Get our emails to stay in the know
Scroll to Top

Sign up for notifications

Leslie Smith, Sutter Creek, CA: Raised in Washington State, Leslie is a happy California transplant having moved to Sunny Sutter Creek full time in 2020. As a nascent fly fisher and lifelong skier, she is committed to the natural environment and brings extensive organizational and finance experience to the board from a nearly 40 year career in banking.